Distance Learning DVD Course: The Use of EMDR with Complex Trauma & Dissociative Symptoms-Curt Rouanzoin, PhD.
This DVD course is designed for clinicians who have completed an approved EMDR Basic Training. If you did not receive your b
Distance Learning DVD Course:
The Use of EMDR with Complex Trauma & Dissociative Symptoms-Curt Rouanzoin, PhD
PLEASE NOTE: This DVD course is designed for clinicians who have completed an approved EMDR Basic Training. If you did not receive your basic training from the EMDR Institute, please submit verification of completion of a basic training from an EMDRIA approved instructor. (A certificate of completion showing EMDRIA approval or a letter from the instructor verifying completion are acceptable).
COURSE INSTRUCTOR: Curtis Rouanzoin, PhD, is a clinical psychologist who specializes in the treatment of trauma and dissociative disorders. He completed EMDR basic training in 1992 and is a founding member and past President of EMDRIA. He is an EMDR Institute Basic Training instructor and co-director of the Traumatic Stress Network of southern California which provides EMDR workshops and extended Regional Trainings. His advanced clinical specialty workshops in the use of EMDR with Complex Trauma and Dissociative Symptoms have been presented nationally and internationally.
COURSE DESCRIPTION: This DVD course presentation will discuss the role of dissociative symptoms in everyday life as well as the pathological effects of trauma. The presenter will focus on the nature and sequelae of trauma, the impact of trauma at different developmental stages, the relationship between trauma and dissociative symptoms, the various types and the neurobiology of dissociative symptoms. Dr. Rouanzoin will discuss the dissociative process and how to effectively apply the EMDR AIP Model to highly traumatized clients. Included will be information to inform participants as to the complications and implications of treating clients with dissociative symptoms, the “red flags” or treatment concerns, the differential diagnoses, and the use of EMDR with these clients. Therapist attributes that help contribute to the successful treatment of clients with dissociative symptoms will be discussed.
A detailed 75 page manual is included with the course.
- What is Trauma?
- DSM-IV Definition of PTSD
- Complex PTSD/Disorders of Extreme Stress NOS
- Information processing in Traumatized Patients
- Psychobiology of PTSD
- Biological Abnormalities in PTSD
- The Nature of Dissociative Symptoms
- DSM-IV Definitions of Dissociative Symptoms
- Subjective Phenomenological Model
- Sociocognitive Model
- The Dissociative Process
- Primary Dissociative Symptoms
- Secondary Dissociative Symptoms
- Tertiary Dissociative Symptoms
- Special Issues in Working with Dissociative Disorders
- Special Issues in Working with Dissociative Disorders (continued)
- Trauma and Memory
- Implications for Clinical Practice
- Treatment Goals for Trauma-Disordered Clients
- The Adaptive-Information Processing Model and Dissociative Symptoms
- Dissociative Continuum
- Screening for Dissociative Symptoms
- Precautions in the Use of EMDR with DD Clients
- Special Issues and Resistances
- Principles of Treatment
- Specific EMDR Procedures in the Treatment of Dissociative Symptoms
- General Dissociative Symptoms Protocol
- DDNOS Protocol
- DID Protocol
- Three Phase Treatment
- Stabilization and Symptom Reduction
- Treatment of Traumatic Memories
- (Re)Integration and Rehabilitation
- Some Necessary Therapist Characteristics Which Facilitate Treatment
- Explain the relationship between trauma and dissociative symptoms
- Describe the neurobiology, types and differential diagnoses of dissociative symptoms
- Evaluate the implications and complications when treating highly traumatized clients
- Demonstrate how to screen clients for dissociative symptoms
- Develop clinical attributes to successfully treat severely traumatized clients
- Apply the AIP Model to clients with dissociative symptoms
80 question True/False test. 75% is a passing score. Tests are scored within 5 business days of receipt of answer sheet and signed Course Verification and Evaluation Forms. Results, including a CE certificate of completion, will be sent by email attachment within 3 business days. Upon request, scores and certificates will be faxed or sent by postal service.
REQUIREMENTS: Completion of test, receipt of Evaluation/Satisfaction and signed Verification Form. Course completion must be accomplished within 2 years of purchase date.
FEES: $210 to include 5 DVDs, Manual, test, CE certificate of completion. There is a $35 cancellation fee.
IF YOU HAVE SPECIAL NEEDS, DISABILITY OR CONCERNS: Please contact the EMDR Institute if you have special needs, questions or concerns about registration for the course, course content, course administration, or course evaluation. firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-761-1040. Grievance Policy available upon request.
CONTINUING EDUCATION: 12 CE Credits 10 EMDRIA Credits
- APA: EMDR Institute, Inc., is an approved provider by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. EMDR Institute, Inc, maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. 12 contact hours.
- NBCC: EMDR Institute, Inc., is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider and may offer NBCC approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The EMDR Institute solely is responsible for all aspects of the program: Provider #5558.
- NURSES: EMDR Institute, Inc., is an approved provider of continuing education to nurses through the Board of Registered Nursing, CA: Provider #9755 12 credit hours.
- BBS: For California the course meets the qualifications for 12 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs and LCSWs as required by the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences. Approval #PCE270
- SW: EMDR Institute, provider #1206, is approved for SW continuing education by the Assoc of SW Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. EMDR Institute maintains responsibility for the program. Social workers participating in this course will receive 12 clinical social work continuing education clock hours. Please contact the EMDR Institute 831-761-1040 or email@example.com for information about continuing education for social workers. (Social work boards outside the state in which the training occurs may or may not accept transferral of units depending upon individual state board policy.)
- EMDRIA: EMDR is a provider approved by EMRIA. Provider #99003-DL69-approved for 10 credits. To receive EMDRIA credits you must have completed an EMDRIA approved EMDR Basic Training.