US Basic Training Overview
The EMDR Therapy Basic Training Courses offer 40 CE Credits
Weekend 1 & 2 Training Overview
EMDR Senior Trainers
Selected and Trained by Dr. Shapiro
PLEASE NOTE: Graduates of the former 2 1/2 Day Part 1 Training (prior to 2007) will be admitted to the 3 Day Weekend 2 Training after fulfilling the following:
- Purchase Weekend 1 manual ($36),
- A 3 hour practicum makeup, and
- Complete 5 hours of case consultation with an EMDR Institute Facilitator before attending Weekend 2.
Manual is available by calling 831-761-1040 (it is not available on the website).
BASIC TRAINING OVERVIEW
The EMDR Therapy Basic Training (Weekend 1 and 2) is designed for licensed mental health practitioners who treat adults and children in a clinical setting (See Qualifications Section). EMDR is a comprehensive psychotherapy that accelerates the treatment of a wide range of pathologies and self-esteem issues related to disturbing events and present life conditions. This interactional, standardized approach has been empirically tested in over 20 randomized controlled studies with trauma patients, and hundreds of published case reports evaluating a considerable range of presenting complaints, including depression, anxiety, phobias, excessive grief, somatic conditions and addictions. EMDR therapy is guided by the Adaptive Information Processing model which addresses the unprocessed memories that appear to set the basis for a wide range of dysfunction. A number of neurophysiological studies have documented the rapid post treatment EMDR effects.
Participants will be required to read the textbook by Francine Shapiro, PhD, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures Guilford Press, NY, 2nd Edition, 2001.
GOAL OF THE EMDR THERAPY BASIC TRAINING
This experiential training will familiarize participants with a broad spectrum of EMDR therapy applications sufficient for comfortable and efficient use with a wide range patients and situations. Special attention will be given to the therapeutic needs of clients.
EMDR therapy is a specialized approach that requires supervised training for full therapeutic effectiveness and client safety. The training will consist of lecture, live and videotaped demonstrations and supervised practice. The format of this workshop has been designed by the originator of EMDRtherapy, Francine Shapiro, PhD. The workshop leaders have been individually selected and trained by her to provide the comprehensive information necessary for appropriate client selection and effective utilization of EMDR therapy. This is the workshop program which has been taught by Dr. Shapiro since 1990. EMDR Institute adheres to the ethical standards of APA, social work, nursing and mental health boards.
INTEGRATING EMDR THERAPY WITH OTHER APPROACHES
As an integrative psychotherapy approach, EMDR is compatible with all contemporary paradigms including, psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, experiential and systemic.
- Supervised small group practice on each trainng day
- Physiological overview of the information processing system
- Specialized history-taking to identify dysfunctional patterns and causes
- Treatment planning to address past events, current triggers and future needs
- Stabilization techniques across the attachment spectrum
- Reduction of overt symptoms and achieving comprehensive mental health
- Addressing the full range of trauma and other disturbing life events
- Applications to combat trauma and first responders
- Applications to addictions, grief, anxiety, depression and somatic disorders
- Applications to natural and man-made disasters
- Applications to family and couples therapy
- Personal use for therapist to process vicarious traumatization
PLEASE NOTE: It is recommended that clinicians practice the skills learned in Weekend 1 with selected clients for a minimum of 20-30 sessions before attending Weekend 2.
WEEKEND 1 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
10 hours of didactic + 10 hours of supervised practice
- Identify 3 components of the EMDR Approach designed to provide effective treatment with clients
- Describe 3 important existing research studies
- Name the 8 phases of EMDR therapy for comprehensive treatment and how to implement the phases with clients
- Identify the parameters treatable with EMDR therapy to safely and effectively implement EMDR therapy with clients
- Describe 3 aspects of the AIP Model for effective case conceptualization and treatment planning
- List 6 types of client complaints treatable with EMDR therapy
- Describe the criteria for client selection and how to apply to client cases
- Describe 3 safety measures for effective and safe use of EMDR therapy
WEEKEND 2 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
10 hours of didactic + 10 hours of supervised practice
- Describe 3 strategies to identify and effectively resolve problem areas in the utilization of EMDR therapy
- Describe protocols for closing down incomplete sessions
- Describe 3 resources to use with difficult or resistant clients
- Describe a treatment plan to choose and prioritize targets appropriate for EMDR treatment
- Describe strategies for dealing with highly emotional responses
- Describe strategies for dealing with dissociative symptoms and phobias
- Describe strategies to treat more complex trauma-related disorders
EMDR INSTITUTE PARCHMENT CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Certifcate of Completion Requirements:
- Completion of Weekend 1 and Weekend 2 Trainings
- Reading the textbook, EMDR: Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures (Shapiro 2001)
- 10 hours of case consultation with an EMDR Institute Approved Consultant
- 5 hours are required prior to Weekend 2; 5 hours after Weekend 2
PLEASE NOTE: A CE certificate for 20 credits will be issued upon completion of Weekend 1 and 20 credits upon completion of Weekend 2
- 10 hours of case consultation are required to complete the EMDR Basic Training
- 5 hours required prior to attending Weekend 2 and 5 hours post Weekend 2
- A list of EMDR Institute Approved Consultants will be given at each training
- Workshop fees do not include case consultation
Qualifications for Attending
A clinical background is necessary for the effective application of EMDR therapy. Attendance at the workshop is limited to all levels of social workers and mental health professionals who have a masters degree or higher in the mental health field and are licensed or certified through a state or national board which authorizes independent practice.
Canadian Registration Requirements
Minimum of a master's degree in clinical or counseling psychology or social work. Membership in a professional association that has a written code of ethics or standards of conduct. Professional liability insurance.
Intern/Graduate Student Requirements
Completion of graduate level coursework at an accredited school and be on a licensing track under state sanctioned supervision by a licensed clinician. Please submit a current supervisor's letter with his/her degree and license number.
|Friday||8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||8:30 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||8:00 AM - 8:30 AM||8:30 AM - 4:00 PM|